Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Wonder of Boys

The wonder of boys.

Okay, so I know we are so different, boys and girls that is. That whole Mars/Venus thing. But seriously... besides it being physically impossible, I don't know a single girl that would do what I'm about to tell you my son did.

Here I was early last week, just minding my own business, on a conference call at work when an email from Noah's teacher pops up. She sends email updates on classroom events, etc. on a weekly basis, so I wasn't alarmed...until I read her subject line. It read, "Today". That's it. One word. Immediately I knew it wasn't going to be good.

So I opened it and read on. Here is how it started:

"Today during lunch I was walking past the boys restroom when I heard..."

Yup. I bet you are going all those places in your mind I was. And none of them are good.

She goes on to tell me that she heard several loud boys' voices. And she heard them saying things like, "Let's see if we can get it in there from here". Come to find out that a trio of boys is seeing how far they can pee. A pissing contest. Literally. And my boy was one of the trio.

She goes on to tell me that the boys were kept in at recess and all were honest and admitted to their actions.

Now like I said at the opening, I don't know a single girl that would do this, even if it was physically possible. First - we wouldn't want to make a mess, second - this is just gross, third - we tend to be a little more modest (we don't like the whole community shower thing from high school gym class) and fourth - if we are going to compete on anything, it is probably going to be number of hand bags or shoes or something! Now this is a generalization and perhaps there is some chick out there somewhere that would participate in this type of contest, but I don't personally know one.

So I picked Noah up from school that day prepared to discuss why this was so wrong. I know, I know, the whole "boys will be boys" mantra. But again, this is just gross. So I was ready to talk to Noah about how inappropriate it is to whip it out in front of others AND how unkind it would be to leave a mess in the bathroom that such a contest would encourage. Thankfully, after a little grilling Noah admitted that all he did was say, "I could get it in there from here". Now perhaps he is lying to me, but in any case he now has my VERY clear point of view on why this is wrong and why not to do it again...or to at least use his "inside voice" the next time he is involved in this type of contest so the teacher can't hear it going on from the hall.

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    This is Nick Henning, and first, as a guy I would have to say that his solution is probably going to be to use his "inside voice" next time. He'll get the "creating a mess" and public display thing later, maybe.

    Second, this was hilarious! Did they drink a whole bunch of water before?

    Thanks for the continued stories, happy and sad.

    ReplyDelete