Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Love, Pain and the Possibility






It wasn't until Noah was born that I began to understand the depth of the Love, the Pain and the Possibility. As I write this I am overwhelmed with all three.






Sure, I'd felt all three of these before, but never to the depths of my very being. Through the course of the last six years I've explored places I'd never been emotionally. The sheer joy that comes from your child as they giggle, the debilitating sadness that comes when they are hurt, and the amazing blessing that comes when you see their future without boundaries.






Noah is my Greatest Love, my Greatest Pain and my Greatest Possibility...we share this, him and I.






We have shared this Love reading books, sledding down a hill, going to the movies, building a Lego city, driving Hot Wheels, baking cookies, carving pumpkins, decorating Christmas trees, going to his first day of school, saying his prayers.






We have shared this Pain being teased at school, calling himself stupid, falling off his bike, watching my Grandmother pass away, asking why his Daddy only wants to see him twice a year.






And then we most certainly share the Possibility when we talk about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., space, the planets and beyond, his dream to be an artist, professional sky diver and scientist, his love for Mythbusters, how Grandma Betty comes to sleep next to him at night as his angel...and how much we can love each other - him and I.






Love, Pain and the Possibility - you can't really have any one of these without the others.






Thank you Noah.






Since your little face came into my world, I am able to understand that with Love comes Pain, but then comes the Possibility.






2 comments:

  1. I forgot about chubby, little Noah. There was that stage where he was a tad pudgy. :) Still adorable now, and definitely one who teaches many important lessons in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry...more than I actually would care to admit. You are a beautiful writer Heather, please keep sharing with us! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete